What is a Multimeter Used For?
A multimeter is a tool used for measuring electrical voltage, resistance, current and other things. You may have an analog or digital option, and they are used for a variety of reasons and for a number of purposes. Electricians prefer a multimeter, and will find uses for them in detecting issues with: appliances, motors, circuits, power supplies, and a number of wiring systems. Whether you’re looking for info on checking your thermostat with a multimeter or checking your coax cables, we’ve got you covered here at Gateway Cable Company insofar as information on multimeters is concerned.
What is a Multimeter Used For: How to Use a Multimeter
Any multimeter has a basic structure no matter if you are using a digital or analog option. There are two leads: a red and a black, and three ports. The black goes into the “common port” while the red will go into either, depending on the measurement you are trying to take. Multimeters are mainly used to check electrical current and voltage.
How to Use a Multimeter to Check Your Thermostat or Coax Cables: Taking a reading simply requires that you:
- Put the bare metal pointed end of each lead to one of the terminals or wires you are looking to test.
- From there, the value (voltage, etc) will display on the tester.
- As long as the maximum rating of the tester isn’t surpassed by whatever energy circuit you are testing, multimeters are safe to use.
- You should also be sure to never touch the bare metal while you are performing a test because you could get shocked.
Check Items with A Multimeter
Whether you are checking thermostat with multimeter readers or you want to check coax cable with multimeter readers, it’s a simple process. Just follow the directions above and you’ll be able to confirm the proper electric charge within the system. Multimeters can also be used for:
- AC (alternating current) voltage and amperage
- DC (direct current) voltage and amperage
- Frequency (Hz)
- Resistance (ohms)
- Capacity (farads)
- Conductance (siemens)
- Duty cycle
Get Your Electrical Necessities from Gateway Cable Company!
Whether you need to purchase a multimeter or a variety of electrical instruments, you can rely on the Gateway Cable Company to supply your electrical needs. If you’re looking for specialized electrical connectors or cable accessories you can trust we have you covered from Military Hardware to Cable Assembly.