What is MIL-PRF?
Standardization is a process used by the U.S. Department of Defense to ensure products are reliable, uniform, interoperable, and cost-efficient. U.S. defense standards, also known as military standards, help make standardization possible. There are different types of standards and specifications, such as MIL-PRF. Read on to learn more about MIL-PRF and how it plays a role in the manufacturing of our products.
What Does MIL-PRF Standard for?
MIL-PRF is a Performance Specification. Performance Specifications outline the compliance requirements of products, as well as the criteria they should meet. Essentially, MIL-PRF defines the following:
- How the item should function
- The type of environment in which it should operate
- Interchangeability with other items and systems
What’s the difference between MIL-PRF and MIL-SPEC? MIL-SPEC is Defense Specification that covers the technical requirements for items that are unique to the military or heavily modified commercial items. MIL-PRF covers the standards and requirements those items must meet in terms of performance.
What Does MIL-PRF 621122(E) Mean?
There are thousands of MIL-PRF standards — many of which have more than one version. Whether you’re shopping for military receptacles, plugs, or other components, you’ll want to check the product’s scope to ensure it meets military standards. When it comes to military-grade electric components, you’ll likely see the following standard:
- MIL-PRF-62122(E): This specification covers cable assemblies, plugs, receptacles, and adapters, which are used to create a temporary connection between the electrical systems of two vehicles. The purpose of this temporary connection is to start the main engine of a disabled vehicle from an operating vehicle. These two vehicles have the same level voltage power source, allowing one vehicle to be used as a power source to start the main engine of the second.
Why Purchase Military-Grade Products?
When it comes to the reliability of an electrical connector or plug receptacle, plug, connector, etc., it doesn’t get much higher than what’s offered by an item that meets or exceeds MIL-PRF. These components tend to possess the following qualities:
- Corrosion resistant
- Resistant to petroleum products exposure
- Resistant to ozone exposure
- Resistant to fungus exposure
Learn More About the Military-Grade Products at Gateway Cable Company!
Gateway Cable Company’s facility is an ISO 9001:2015 quality standard facility, offering high-quality electrical components that meet the most stringent specs, including MIL-PRF 62122(E). If you have questions about our products, contact us! Do you have a particular product in mind? Request a quote online!